Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?

From: kero552
Subject: Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?
Date: 7 Oct 2006 11:45:21 -0700

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> Yes.  Linux isn't the main kernel that GLIBC supports to begin with.
>
>    Now what is difference between glibc not working w/o kernel and
>    some GUI program not working w/o library.  FSF says kernel OK,
>    program not.
>
> The FSF has no say about Linux, add to that, Linux has a special
> execption that explictly allows propietary modules to be used.

Can you point me to text of exception?
I never said anything about FSF having rights about kernel.

>    I tried to point it out during OpenGl example, probably wrong way.
>    There is an API (well documented) for library and there are two or
>    more libraries using the API. One is GPL licensed and the rest
>    not. The product doesnt have to be a GPL licensed.
>
> If it uses the GPL licensed library, then it has to.

The point I am trying to make. Just because you call low-level library
kernel and call its functions differently (through interrupt) doesn't
mean it has some special rights against some other high level library
called through some other mechanism. Last time I checked GPL had no
"only kernel" or " only through interrupts".

GPL does not AFAIK have some special condition.. for case of kernel.

Honza