Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 21:44:30 +0200 (CEST)

   > The FSF has no say about Linux, add to that, Linux has a special
   > execption that explictly allows propietary modules to be used.

   Can you point me to text of exception?

See Daniels response, he is right that it isn't really an execption.
The top of the COPYING file.

   > If it uses the GPL licensed library, then it has to.

   The point I am trying to make. Just because you call low-level
   library kernel and call its functions differently (through
   interrupt) doesn't mean it has some special rights against some
   other high level library called through some other mechanism. Last
   time I checked GPL had no "only kernel" or " only through
   interrupts".

It has nothing to do with calling, but sharing data.  fork()/exec() is
"calling", but this use is not covered by the GPL.

   GPL does not AFAIK have some special condition.. for case of
   kernel.

Which kernel? There are many.