Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?

From: kero552
Subject: Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?
Date: 7 Oct 2006 13:02:56 -0700

John Hasler wrote:
> Honza writes:
> > You cant say that only kernel and glibc can interact and that kernel can
> > be GPL and glibc can be LGPL.
>
> Why not?  (aside from the fact that the kernel license grants permission).
> --
> John Hasler
> john@dhh.gt.org
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, WI USA

Because GPL. Either kernel is GPL or not. If it is (and as you say it
is) then same rules apply to all programs distributed under conditions
of GPL.
And if kernel and glibc interact certain wai that allows kernel to be
GPL and glibc LGPL then there are certain conditions that allows it.
In other words kernel fulfull conditions A and glibc fulfill conditions
B.
Since kernel fullfills A and glibc B then they can interact and yet
retain they licences (kernel GPL and glib LGPL).
I have no idea what conditions A and B are, but they exists. And they
have to be rather general.

Now take software C and D. Make software C fulfill conditions A and
software D conditions B.
Then software C can be GPL while D can be LGPL.
For example substitute C with QT or gnash and D with some sort of
virtual layer providing API for closed source application.

Weird:
Note that according http://www.linuxrising.org/files/licensingfaq.html
you cant hide closed soft under layer of GPL->LGPL->closed source,
however there is case
kernel->glibc->adobre reader.
It is little different from text in hyperlink, however rather simillar.

Honza