Re: More GPL questions

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: More GPL questions
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:16:46 +0200

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:59:18 +0200 (CEST)
QuoteMaster "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> >  Of course not - you're not including Qt, are you? If it's source
> >  code you wrote yourself, that happens to call Qt routines, then it
> >  is not subject to the Qt license.
>
> By linking to a GPLed library, which Qt is, you must abide by that
> license.

He's not linking to Qt. He's providing sample source code that happens
to use Qt for the GUI part (like other source code that uses OpenGL,
etc).

> Also, the OP is _including_ GPLed source code into his library, not
> just linking it.

No - he wants to make it easy for Qt users to use his library by
providing an example. He wrote that example. It's his work. He quite
clearly stated that:

"Louis B. (ldb)" <ldb_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a proprietary sdk that is being distributed. As part of this
> sdk, I have an /examples/ folder where I include source code showing
> how to use various elements of the sdk in various display
> enviornments.

The only thing that could be affected by the license of the libraries is
the compiled program. The OP is providing source code - the source
code you're so keen on.

Maybe if you'd use a program that knows how to quote you'd be less
susceptible to foot-in-mouth disease.

--
Stefaan A Eeckels