Re: More GPL questions

From: Stephen Peters
Subject: Re: More GPL questions
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:51:57 -0400

David Kastrup wrote:
> The unlinked work may be affected, too, if its purpose can't be met
> without linking, and thus the act of linking from the enduser becomes
> a formality instead of an available technical option.  However, if
> there are practical uses without linking to the GPLed library (for
> example, if an API-compatible different library exists that could be
> employed equally well), then the case might become shaky where the
> distribution of the unlinked executable or the source is concerned.

In this case, however, the GPLed library in question is Qt, which is
readily available both under the GPL and a commercial license.
Presumably nothing in the example code insists that people use Qt under
the GPL, so couldn't a case be made here that there is nothing
GPL-specific in the example code, and hence the example code can be
distributed?

--
Stephen L. Peters                                  portnoy@portnoy.org
  GPG fingerprint: A1BF 5A81 03E7 47CE 71E0  3BD4 8DA6 9268 5BB6 4BBE