Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Bruce Perens and world table

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Bruce Perens and world table
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:48:27 +0200

Dan Lyons reports:

http://floatingpoint.wordpress.com/2006/10/17/bruce-perens-on-gplv3/

------
While we’re on the subject of the “price” of “free” software (a notion
that may seem paradoxical to some), a while back I had a chance to speak
with Bruce Perens, a well-known free software advocate, about the GPLv3.
Here’s his take:

    “There is inevitable tension between one side that just wants to
make products and hold information close when necessary, and the Free
Software Foundation, whose goal or mission is social engineering. Their
mission is to take Intel and Palm and everyone else and make them work
with this phenomenon by giving them a carrot, and sometimes the carrot
is that there are things these companies want to do that they can’t pull
off without Linux. So there is an advantage for companies to use open
source. ***The job of the Free Software Foundation right now is to get
them to pay the price for that.***” [the emphasis is Dan's]

    “If you think we all sit down and democratically figure out how the
GPLv3 works, well that’s not how it works. How it works is that Eben
[Moglen] and Richard [Stallman] ***are going to get everything they can
from the rest of the world, while keeping the rest of the world at the
table.***”
------