Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:01:50 +0200 (CEST)

   You should file your bug report with your distribution and let them
   forward it.  They will know whether the bug is truly in the
   upstream release or in something they have added and will be able
   to provide more information and testing and consolidate multiple
   reports of the same bug.

I suggest people do _not_ do this.  I have already had to check a list
of bugs from Gentoo for a package that I maintain because they didn't
send the patches upstream (patches that were 3 years old at that!).
Major kudoos to the Gentoo people for keeping a nice explanation of
what the patch does, other distributors often ignores this practise
completely.

When sending a bug report send it to the system distributor, and then
check if it presists in the offical version of the package and if so,
send it upstream.

Or even better, ignore the system distributed package completely, and
check bugs against the offical package.  The system distributor will
in either case pull down a new version when it is released, and the
bug will get fixed that way.

   > And if a patch is actually useful to a program, it should be
   > folded into the actual program itself.

   Yes, but let the distribution forward it.

Please don't, it is a really bad practise, and causes headaches for
maintainers.

Cheers.