Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question

From: James Carlson
Subject: Re: Gentoo Linux copyright / CDDL question
Date: 19 Oct 2006 07:28:33 -0400

"Mike Cox" <mikecox_linux@yahoo.com> writes:
> On a related subject, we have developed a kernel mode driver for our
> Microsoft Wireless Optical Mice with Tilt Wheel Technology,
> complete with device file in /dev and all needed ioctls necessary
> for querying signal strength, battery life status, and other misc.
> statistics, for Linux, that we have now ported to the OpenSolaris
> kernel (hence the xpost to c.u.s). My question is, is the same
> type of copyright transfer needed to get this driver into OpenSolaris
> proper?

Open Solaris requries a joint copyright arrangement.  You can read the
details here:

  http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/sun_contributor_agreement/

As the author you, of course, retain your copyright interest.  You
don't have to give that away.

> How would we handle code shared between the Linux and
> OpenSolaris driver?

If you're the author of the code, you can issue it under as many or as
few separate licenses as you choose.  It's your issue.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <james.d.carlson@sun.com>