Re: More GPL questions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: More GPL questions
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:08:06 -0400

>> ...you're perfectly entitled to install and run GPL'd software without
>> accepting the GPL, because those rights are already conferred to you by
>> the fair use doctrine of copyright.

> They are conferred[1], but not by fair use (in the US).

> [1] More precisely, they are not reserved for the copyright owner.

I'm not sure I understand.  What/who confers them then?
Is it simply that those activities are not covered/restricted by the
copyright law because they are not considered as "copying"?  I thought
installation was considered as a form of copying (and some people even
argued that running a program also creates a copy in RAM)?

        Stefan