Re: Confused about LGPL terms - can you help?

From: xp_newbie
Subject: Re: Confused about LGPL terms - can you help?
Date: 8 Nov 2006 10:23:01 -0800

John Hasler wrote:

> The LGPL does not require that you grant your customers access to your
> source code when you link to an LGPL library.  It merely requires that you
> provide your customers with everything they need to relink your program to
> a different version of the library.  In the case of static linking this
> means that you would have to provide object files (not source) for your
> program.  In the case of dynamic linking you need do nothing special as the
> customer already has everything he needs to link to a different version:
> all he needs to do is install said different version and load the program.

OK, thanks - this definitely clarifies things and gets me closer to
deciding in favor of using a LGPL library (vs. using a proprietary one
that has some initial costs but has no strings attached when I
distribute my software).

The only question that arised from your last reply is in regard to:

> ...  In the case of dynamic linking you need do nothing special as the
> customer already has everything he needs to link to a different version:
> all he needs to do is install said different version and load the program.

What if the customer decides (on his own) to download a newer version
of the library, installs it, then realizes that it doesn't work for
some compatibility reasons? Isn't he going to come to me and demand
that I "solve all these compatibility issues or else be accused of
violating the LGPL terms"?

Thanks,
Alex