Re: EASTERBROOK's "quick look" on the GPL and Wallace's claim

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: EASTERBROOK's "quick look" on the GPL and Wallace's claim
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:02:36 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> Go try to negotiate different license terms for the EULA'd stuff in
> Windows.  Or Java from Sun

I've addressed Windows already. As for Java...

http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=34835

"After acknowledging that "we've had a bit of a chill in our
relationship with IBM", Sun President Jonathan Schwartz announced
that the relationship has been saved, announcing that IBM has will
license Java for an additional 11 years...

[...]

IBM releases a jvm for common (x86) as well as ibm special
platforms (iSeries, pSeries, etc). to get the jvm, ibm licenses it
from sun, then they tweak it quite a bit. from garbage collector to
anything else they can get their hands on."