Re: License Dilemma

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: License Dilemma
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:34:08 +0100

"Dmitry V. Gorbatovsky" <dg-nospam@midasitech.com> writes:

> John Hasler wrote:
>
>> Then keep it secret.
> It is indeed possible.
> And I can sell just results of using it.
>
> But let me remind you , that all point of patent law is to give
> society new ideas and possibilities to create further innovations
> based on openly available knowledge, while protecting the rights of
> people who share their secrets.

Uh, no, not the rights.  Their billfolds.  The whole point of patents
is to make innovation _pay_ _off_, nothing else.  One problem
particularly with software patents is that it makes a wagonload of
other things pay off, and thus the relative increase of public
knowledge through patents gets more and more counterbalanced by lots
of problems where one can't market one's own ideas and products
without getting into a quagmire of registered patents on utterly
straightforward constructions.

As it stands, the current patent system is out of control, something
which even its proponents will tend to acknowledge.