Re: License Dilemma

From: Dmitry V. Gorbatovsky
Subject: Re: License Dilemma
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:00:10 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> "Dmitry V. Gorbatovsky" <dg-nospam@midasitech.com> writes:
>
>> John Hasler wrote:
>>
>>> Then keep it secret.
>> It is indeed possible.
>> And I can sell just results of using it.
>>
>> But let me remind you , that all point of patent law is to give
>> society new ideas and possibilities to create further innovations
>> based on openly available knowledge, while protecting the rights of
>> people who share their secrets.
>
> Uh, no, not the rights.  Their billfolds.  The whole point of patents
> is to make innovation _pay_ _off_, nothing else.
Sorry , but that part just plane demagogy.
Consider alternatives secret or patent , society allready make a choice.

> One problem
> particularly with software patents is that it makes a wagonload of
> other things pay off, and thus the relative increase of public
> knowledge through patents gets more and more counterbalanced by lots
> of problems where one can't market one's own ideas and products
> without getting into a quagmire of registered patents on utterly
> straightforward constructions.
> As it stands, the current patent system is out of control, something
> which even its proponents will tend to acknowledge.

Actually I am not interested in a discussion of todays patent system.
As all socially implementable systems in the past and foreseen future
this has drawbacks.
We accept it and follow till find something better.
End of story.

Maybe some constructive suggestions for person who try to
give out as much of his work as possible.
But still alive and need food and roof.

Dmitry