Re: License Dilemma

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: License Dilemma
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:49:08 -0600

Dmitry writes:
> But let me remind you , that all point of patent law is to give society
> new ideas and possibilities to create further innovations based on openly
> available knowledge, while protecting the rights of people who share
> their secrets.

That may be the case in some jurisdictions but the US Constitution says

   To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
   limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
   respective writings and discoveries

Thus the purpose of a patent in the US is to promote the progress of
science and useful arts,  not to protect the rights of "intellectual
property" owners.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org