Re: day5done reports: "IBM no longer matters"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: day5done reports: "IBM no longer matters"
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:03:43 +0100

-------
*

Open source and Linux from HP

>From eight consecutive years of Linux market leadership to countless
community outreach programs, HP has proven solutions you can value and
is the advisor you can trust.

Learn more now about open source and Linux solutions from HP, including
the latest on HP BladeSystem - the innovative, adaptive infrastructure
in a 17" box.

» Click here to learn more.
* Site Sponsor - IBM Websphere

Using Tomcat but need to do more?
Need to support web services, security?
Need clustering?

Get stuff done quickly with preintegrated technology to make your job
easier

Discover IBM WebSphere Application Server Community Edition V 1.1 based
on Apache Geronimo

» Fast and free download. Click here to get it now.

Government and Regulatory
HP memo forecasts MS patent attacks on free software
Monday July 19, 2004 (12:30 AM GMT)
By: Joe Barr

Printer-friendly Email story
A two-year old memo from HP executive Gary Campbell to other HP execs
has been wending its way around the backrooms of the Internet this past
weekend. One of the places it showed up was in the NewsForge submission
bin. We held off publishing the memo until we verified its authenticity
and gave HP a chance to respond.

The memo -- its full text is provided later in the story, along with
HP's response -- briefly explains a patent cross-licensing deal between
HP and Microsoft. By itself, that's not a big deal, especially since it
was sent two years ago. But the memo asserts that "Microsoft will soon
be launching a patent-based legal offensive against Linux and other free
software projects." Leaders in the open source community have been
warning of such attacks for some time. The memo reveals there may be
very good reason for the worry.

According to Campbell's memo, the GPL itself invites such an attack. He
wrote:

But it probably doesn't matter, because the GPL license has a mutually
assured destruction clause in section 7, if anyone is sued over a patent
infringement, no one is licensed under the GPL to ship GPL-ed products.
This is probably what Microsoft intends to do.

Basically Microsoft is going to use the legal system to shut down open
source software, and for all of its cleverness, the GPL makes it fairly
easy unless a white knight steps in.

Although the patent attacks have still not been launched, some speculate
that it is only a matter of time. One well-known figure in the open
source community, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told us:

MS had to hold off due to anti-trust prosecution in the EU and US, and
also they didn't want to create bad news for new European software
patenting laws before they got what they wanted. Now they have the
prospect of being able to prosecute the same patents in Europe. My
suspicion is that we could see this start very soon, or hold off for up
to three years while MS establishes its commercial licensing program. If
they wait to get about 10,000 licensees in their commercial program,
they will be able to show in court that they license the patents
"reasonably" and that will make them more difficult to fight.

As to Campbell's interpretation of Section 7 of the GPL, we asked
Professor Eben Moglen of the Columbia Law School -- he also acts as the
Free Software Foundation's general counsel -- if he felt Campbell was
reading the GPL correctly. He replied:

The interpretation of section 7 presented in the supposed memo is not
correct. The filing of a lawsuit alleging patent infringement places
obligations on no one under section 7. The license says that "if
restrictions imposed on you" mean that you cannot afford others all the
freedoms apparently conveyed by GPL, you can't use the license. The
examples given in section 7 are judgments, interim relief (preliminary
injunctions, etc), or accepted licenses. Someone's allegations of
infringement, whether made judicially or otherwise, do not "impose
conditions" and do not trigger section 7.

Mistaken about the GPL or not, Campbell was obviously alarmed at what he
had learned of Microsoft's intentions. Perhaps he was victim of FUD. Or
perhaps the issue will resurface later, after we all figure it has gone
away

Full text of the 'Campbell Memo'