Re: gpl licensing

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: gpl licensing
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:47:43 +0100

Richard Tobin wrote:

> >> And property is theft.
>
> >http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Pierre-Joseph_Proudhon
>
> As usual, you miss the point.  Just as the fact that's there's an
> often-quoted assertion "property is theft" doesn't prove that property
> IS theft, the fact that someone coined the phrase "intellectual
> property" does not mean that such a thing exists.  Both are just
> slogans for a political viewpoint.

Intellectual property is a slogan? It's a law, not a slogan.

And as for theft (of intellectual property)...

-------
 TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

                             PART I--CRIMES

                 CHAPTER 90--PROTECTION OF TRADE SECRETS

Sec. 1832. Theft of trade secrets

    (a) Whoever, with intent to convert a trade secret, that is related
to or included in a product that is produced for or placed in interstate
or foreign commerce, to the economic benefit of anyone other than the
owner thereof, and intending or knowing that the offense will, injure
any owner of that trade secret, knowingly--
        (1) steals, or without authorization appropriates, takes,
    carries away, or conceals, or by fraud, artifice, or deception
    obtains such information;
        (2) without authorization copies, duplicates, sketches, draws,
    photographs, downloads, uploads, alters, destroys, photocopies,
    replicates, transmits, delivers, sends, mails, communicates, or
    conveys such information;
        (3) receives, buys, or possesses such information, knowing the
    same to have been stolen or appropriated, obtained, or converted
    without authorization;
        (4) attempts to commit any offense described in paragraphs (1)
    through (3); or
        (5) conspires with one or more other persons to commit any
    offense described in paragraphs (1) through (3), and one or more of
    such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy,

shall, except as provided in subsection (b), be fined under this title
or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.
    (b) Any organization that commits any offense described in
subsection (a) shall be fined not more than $5,000,000.
-------

for example.