Re: GPL 3 ...concise?

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: GPL 3 ...concise?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 16:05:25 +0100

On 2006-12-10, Fragemann <yubbers9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can someone please explain, in 2 short sentences or less,
> what all the controversy is over GPL 3 especially regarding
> software patents? I don't want to read 20 pages of back and
> forth discussions or elaborate explanations.

GPLv2 only had an implicit patent grant that applied when
you distributed the software to someone else. GPLv3 makes
it explicit and also extends it to private use.

To understand why this is important you really need to read
20 pages of discussion and explanation.

But the most important/high-impact aspect of the GPLv3
will be the "No Denying Users' Rights through Technical
Measures" part.

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply