Re: Using a script licensed under GPL in an application licensed under a

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Using a script licensed under GPL in an application licensed under a license that's not compatible with GPL
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:05:41 +0100

Stefaan A Eeckels <hoendech@ecc.lu> writes:

> You don't get it - one cannot write a (useful) 'C' program without a
> few #include statements (which will cause the preprocessor to
> "import" the header files). If that makes the source code a
> derivative work of the header files, you'd have to ask the
> permission of AT&T, and Sun before you'd be allowed to write even
> just the following line (on my Solaris system):

The usual consensus seems to be that the resulting binaries being
derivative works of the header files is irrelevant for typical header
files since they contain definitions that have to be "just so", and
thus are void of copyrightable creative content.

For similar reason, C++ header files are believed to be more murky
legal ground, particularly where templates are being involved.  But
also extensive class and inline information obviously is not free for
the taking just because it is compiled by inclusion.