Re: Using a script licensed under GPL in an application licensed under a

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: Using a script licensed under GPL in an application licensed under a license that's not compatible with GPL
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:30:18 +0100

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:19:13 +0100 (CET)
"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> wrote:

>    "Importing" is done at run time.  [...]
>
> We both are assuming things meant by importing that the OP might not
> have meant.
>
>    You don't get it - one cannot write a (useful) 'C' program without
>    a few #include statements (which will cause the preprocessor to
>    "import" the header files).
>
> I take it that you have never written any C code.

There's a fair chance I've been writing 'C' code longer than you (and
if you were born after 1979, I have been writing in 'C' longer than
you've lived).

With which of the following statements do you have an issue:

- one cannot write a (useful) 'C' program without a few #include
  statements

- #included files are "imported" by the preprocessor

>    Notice that this post is not a derivative work of unistd.h even
>    though I quoted 13 lines from it.
>
> There is this thing called "fair use" that exists.

If I understand your argument correctly, you're arguing that copying
13 lines from a file is fair use, whereas writing "require file"
makes the source code a derivative work of "file".

--
Stefaan A Eeckels