Re: SFLC: "a penumbra"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: SFLC: "a penumbra"
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:38:42 +0100

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
[...]
> > > Autodesk contends that "it is the intangible instructions from the
> > > golden master that produce the disk that is ultimately combined outside
> > > the United States." Matrix Reloaded.
> > >
> > > http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/MSFT.Autodesk.pdf
> > >
> > > <quote>
> > >
> > > The Federal Circuit majority here brushed Pellegrini aside by noting
> > > that it involved export of instructions for making a component, but not
> > > the component itself. AT&T, 414 F.3d at 1370. But because of the
> > > majority’s non-discriminating view of "software," it failed to recognize
> > > that it is the intangible instructions from the golden master that
> > > produce the disk that is ultimately combined outside the United States,
> > > and not the tangible golden master itself. In short, the court's
> > > distinction over Pellegrini was wholly circular and was tied to its
> > > misuse of the term "software."
> > >
> > > </quote>
> > >

> > Respect to BSA. At least they say what's really at issue here.
> >
> > http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/MSFT.BSA.pdf
> >
> > <quote>
> >
> > To appreciate the competitive, economic and legal import of the
> > decision below, one need only to recognize that this dispute is not
> > between a domestic inventor and a foreign infringer. Rather, it is
> > between two inventors based in the United States. One inventor, the
> > Petitioner, had shipped a copy of its invention overseas. The other
> > inventor, the Respondent, could apply for and prosecute a foreign
> > patent for its innovation. There is no United States liability for
> > foreign actions, whether the invention is used or not.
> >
> > The holding that the shipment of one golden master disk could lead to
> > multiple acts of infringement, based on the software’s replication
> > abroad, subjects software companies to indefinite and unpredictable
> > worldwide liability, irrespective of the companies’ ability to control
> > the overseas copying.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > The indefinite liability established by the lower court’s opinion for
> > inventive acts done in the United States, with no corresponding
> > liability for foreign inventions, is likely to put at risk America’s
> > inventive genius for software innovation. At a minimum, the decision
> > negatively impacts United States software companies’ competitiveness
> > with their foreign counterparts, who face no corresponding infringement
> > liability. The risk of liability now faced by American companies, a
> > risk not faced by their foreign competitors, will undoubtedly diminish
> > any competitive advantage currently enjoyed by those developers in the
> > United States.
> >
> > </quote>
>
> Here comes Yahoo:
>
> http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/MSFT.Yahoo.pdf
>
> <quote>
>
> First, while the “golden master disks” that Microsoft sometimes uses to
> convey its software to foreign manufacturers received the lion’s share of
> [...]

Switzerland-based international and non-political association of
approximately 4,000 industrial property attorneys from over eighty
countries (including the United States):

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/MSFT.FICPI.pdf

Very hard to read (in tempo), but what I gather is that they want to
have 271(f) get outlawed altogether.

"Boycott Exxon-Mobil"

 -- www.stallman.org