Free Software Law Center and the FSF repudiated the GPL

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Free Software Law Center and the FSF repudiated the GPL
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:30:54 +0100

Just a subject change. Unpaid GNUtian volunteers without money*** might
want to notice and comment. TIA.

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> [http://www.softwarefreedom.org/publications/msvatt.pdf]
>
> Toward the end, arch legal GNU beagle Eben eloquently states:
>
> "Thus, this Court's precedent repeatedly sets out that software, which
> is nothing more than a set of instructions -- an algorithm -- to be
> performed by a computer in order to solve some mathematical problem,
> is ..."
>
> According to the US Copyright Office, Copyright protection is not
> available for ideas, program logic, algorithms, systems, methods,
> concepts, ...
>
> So... copyright protection is not available for software as defined by
> arch legal GNU beagle Eben.
>
> GPL? Who is GPL?

***) http://www.ifso.ie/documents/rms-2004-05-24.html (courtesy of GNUtian
ciaran: <http://google.com/group/gnu.misc.discuss/msg/0ca99d760cb6903e>)

"There are also certain software developers for whom getting a patent
licence is extremely hard. We Free Software developers. You see Free
Software has been so successful because we have shown we can develop
software without any money. Volunteers do it. We don't need to have money
to develop powerful large programs. But we certainly need to have money
if we're going to buy patent licences."

--
"Join the boycott of Chinese products"

                  -- www.stallman.org