Re: An explanation of tivoisation

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: An explanation of tivoisation
Date: 28 Dec 2006 12:45:30 +0000

> "Tivoisation is a technique that manufacturers use to produce a
> computer, to sell to you, whose software they can update but you
> can't."
>
> That's exactly how my BMW works!

The freedom to change the software on your BMW is not as important as the
freedom to change the software on your desktop computer.

But you have found a deficiency in my definition.  I should have added
"remotely" or "over a network":

 "Tivoisation is a technique that manufacturers use to produce a computer,
  to sell to you, whose software they can update remotely but you can't
  update at all."

...but I'll have to think about that for a bit more.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan __________________ \ http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \  GPLv3 and other work supported by