NYC LOCAL: Saturday Afternoon 13 January 2007 NYU Free Culture Club: Big

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Saturday Afternoon 13 January 2007 NYU Free Culture Club: Big Gathering, talks on Gutenberg, the arXiv, and BoingBoing
Date: 11 Jan 2007 17:22:50 -0500

  what="official NYU Free Culture Club announcement"
  edits="some clean up of odd markings, typo fixed">

 Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:33:17 -0500
 From: "Fred Benenson" <frederick@nyu.edu>
 To: "Free Culture @ NYU's list serv" <free-culture@forums.nyu.edu>
 Subject: [free-culture] January Free Culture Events: Taking Access on Open
Access and Cory Doctorow

 Greetings Free Culture @ NYU,
 I hope you are enjoying your winter breaks and are looking
 forward to a fantastic new year.

 Free Culture @ NYU has some great events lined up for January and
 we wanted to make sure you knew about them.

 First is our "Taking Action on Open Access" event:

 http://www.freeculturenyu.org/oa/
 Taking Action on Open Access Freeculture.org
 <http://www.freeculture.org/>

 will be holding an organization-wide

 *Open Access event in NYC
 on Jan. 13, 2007 from 12-5pm at NYU's Courant Institute
 <http://www.cims.nyu.edu/>
 in Room 101.*

 All chapters are invited and encouraged to attend.

 The event will be free and is open to anyone interested in
 advocating for Open Access and Free Culture on university
 campuses. There will be food and refreshments and we're hoping to
 record the entire session to post online.

 As opposed to last year's Freeculture.org NYC regional summit,
 this event will be more specific and focused. We'll be tackling
 the issue of how to advocate for Open Access on university
 campuses. We want to take action and start targeting faculty and
 professors whose work is publicly (or university funded) but is
 published in closed journals that charge exorbitant prices to
 libraries and students. There is an alternative out there and we
 want to make sure everyone knows about it. Access to Knowledge
 isn't just important, it is your right as a student and member of
 a larger academic community.

 The event will be interactive, with presentations from
 influential professionals working in the Open Access world
 followed by smaller working groups.

 Interested in coming? Just RSVP to *oa [at] freeculturenyu.org*
 or via our facebook event post
 <http://nyu.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2226452845>.

 Agenda

 Here is the agenda for the day:

 12:00pm Registration / Lunch

 12:30pm Introductions

 1:00pm Jennifer Mclennan from SPARC

 2:00pm Gavin Yamey Public

 2:50pm Break

 3:00pm Actual Training
 ---
 Second is Cory Doctorow:
 January 19th 2007 @ 5pm :

 Cory Doctorow
 <http://www.freeculturenyu.org/2007/01/03/january-19th-2007-5pm-cory-doctorow/>

 *photo by Bart Nagel*

 On *January 19th at 5pm* Free Culture @ NYU and NYU
 ACM<http://www.cs.nyu.edu/%7Eacmweb/>are hosting a talk by Cory
 Doctorow. The event will be at the Courant
 Institute <http://www.cims.nyu.edu/> in *Room 109 at 5pm-7pm*.

 Cory will be speaking on "*State of the Copyfight 2007: Looking
 up, not out of the woods yet.*"

 Cory co-edits the massively popular blog
 BoingBoing.net<http://www.boingboing.net/>, writes sci-fi novels
 <http://craphound.com/index.php?cat=5> that are released under
 Creative Commons licenses, and is a dedicated copyfighter who
 serves on the board of numerous organizations. Read his bio
 here<http://craphound.com/bio.php>or his Wikipedia entry
 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Doctorow>.

 The event will be free and open to the public.
 --

 Hope to see you there!

 Fred Benenson
 Free Culture @ NYU

 --
 The content of this email message is licensed under a Creative Commons
 Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License, Some Rights Reserved.

Distributed poC TINC:

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org