NYC LOCAL: Four Events Monday 29, Tuesday 30, Wednesday 31, January 2007

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Four Events Monday 29, Tuesday 30, Wednesday 31, January 2007
Date: 28 Jan 2007 00:59:13 -0500

There are four meetings in the three days Monday 29,
and Tuesday 30, and Wednesday 31, January 2007.

The meetings are about vote fraud, DRM, freedom of the Net, and
our Wikipedia.

The First Event is a meeting of the New York City Council.  The
topic will be voting machines.  Seth Johnson will argue that we
should prevent vote fraud, even if a computer is used to commit
the fraud.  This is an unpopular position today, and the more of
us in the meeting, the better chance we have of reducing vote
fraud.  This meeting is at 10:00 am sharp Monday 29 January 2007
in Council Chambers in City Hall on the Island of the
Manahattoes.  Here is the official announcement, taken from

http://www.nyccouncil.info/rightnow/calendarpage.cfm?DayToEdit=1/29/2007

  Joint Meeting. Committee(s) on: Governmental Operations; Technology in
  Government
  10:00 AM, Council Chambers - City Hall
  Oversight: Developments with New York City's Compliance with The Help
  America Vote Act of 2002 and Security Issues Relating to the Selection of
  Permanent Voting Systems
  Res 131: Resolution urging the New York State Board of Elections to promptly
  certify Precinct Based/Optical Scan voting systems for procurement by the
  local Boards of Elections and urging the New York City Board of Elections to
  select a Precinct Based/Optical Scan system as the new voting technology for
  the City of New York.

The Second Event is a Street Outreach to explain what DRM is and
why no one should run Microsoft's new wiretap and remote control
system called "Vista".  The first mover of this action is
Defective by Design:

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/en/blog/926

The action takes place on Monday 29 January 2007, at 11:00 am at
Cipriani's on 42nd Street and at 2:00 pm at the Nokia Theater,
both in New York.  For full details go to the page above.  Here
are some links about the new Microsoft system for keeping root on
home machines:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9005047
http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/analysis-of-microsofts-suicide-note-part-1
http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/analysis-of-microsoft-s-suicide-note-part-2
http://polishlinux.org/gnu/drm-vista-and-your-rights

The Third Event is a big New York County Lawyers' Association
meeting on Network Neutrality.  The meeting starts at 6:00 pm on
Tuesday 30 January 2007 in the NYCLA Home of Law at 14 Vesey
Street, near City Hall.  Below is a text version of the official
flyer:

http://www.panix.com/~jays/NYCLA_NetNeut_013007.pdf

  New York County Lawyers' Association

  Cyberspace Law Committee
  and
  Entertainment, Intellectual Property and Sports Section (co-sponsor)
  present

  Network Neutrality: Will Regulation Preserve or Peril the Internet?

  SCHEDULED SPEAKERS

  Professor Tim Wu
  Columbia Law School. Credited with coining the term Network Neutrality
  and named one of Scientific American's 50 people of the year in 2006
  for his work on the subject

  Marjorie Heins, Esq.
  Activist, writer, and founder of the Free Expression Policy Project
  at the Brennan Center for Justice, NYU School of Law

  Gale A. Brewer
  NYC Council Member and Chair, Committee on Technology
  in Government of the New York City Council

  Tim Karr
  Campaign Director, Free Press and SavetheInternet.com

  Bruce Regal, Esq.
  Senior Counsel, NYC Law Department

  Anthony L. Soudatt, Esq.
  Technology Consultant and Attorney
  Moderator and Vice Chair, Cyberspace Law Committee

  Tuesday, January 30, 2007
  6:00 - 8:00 P.M.
  NYCLA Home of Law
  14 Vesey Street
  New York, New York
  (around the corner from City Hall)

  NYCLA Evening Forums are free and open to the public. Entrance and
  facilities for those with disabilities are available.

  For wheelchair access, a ramp is provided. Please call at least one
  day in advance to make arrangements.

  For more information, call (212) 267-6646.

  RSVP caeteris@gmail.com

The Fourth Event is a meeting of Evan Korth's class in computers
and society, and is co-sponsored by NYU Free Culture Club and
NYU ACM and NYU Women in Computing.  Jimbo Wales, founder of the
Wikipedia, will speak at 3:30 pm Wednesday 31 January 2007 in the
Courant Institute at 30 Mercer Street, near Washington Square,
Manhattan.  Below is a text version of the official announcement:

http://www.freeculturenyu.org/2007/01/23/jimmy-wales-of-wikipedia-on-january-31st

  Jimmy Wales of Wikipedia on January 31st

     January 23, 2007 by Fred

     Following up Cory Doctorow, next Wednesday we'll be hosting Jimmy
     Wales, founder of Wikipedia. The lecture will be held during a class
     of Evan Korth's Computers and Society course and is also co-sponsored
     by NYU's ACM and NYU's WinC chapters.

     Jimmy will be giving a talk entitled "Free culture, transparency, and
     search." Read more about Jimmy on his Wikipedia entry here.

     We're extremely lucky to have Jimmy and expect to have a full house,
     so please arrive early in order to ensure you get a seat.

     Here are the full details:

     Jimmy Wales
     Owner, Wikia, Inc.; Founder, Wikipedia; President, Wikimedia
     Foundation
     "Free culture, Transparency, and Search"
     Wednesday, January 31st @ 3:30pm - 5pm
     Courant Institute,
     251 Mercer Street, Room 109

     Free and open to the public.

The Free Software Movement has won some battles, and we have lost
some too.  Our strength is such that when we take the field, we
have a good chance to win.  The engagements we have lost, we
have, mostly, lost by default.  Let us go and fight, fight
against DRM and fight for our Net.

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org