Re: GPL question

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:07:16 +0100

Uncle Hasler, uncle Hasler,

John Hasler wrote:

> me writes:
> > i've not changed any code in "foo", i simply want to use the binary.  can
> > i distribute the original unmodified binary "foo" with my proprietary
> > software and not become obligated to GPL my software?
>
> Yes.  Note, however, that you will be distributing foo and will have to
> comply with the terms of its license.
> --
> John Hasler
> john@dhh.gt.org
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, WI USA
              ^^^

"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106(3) [17 USC 106(3)], the
owner of a particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made under this
title, or any person authorized by such owner, is entitled, without the
authority of the copyright owner, to sell or otherwise dispose of the
possession of that copy or phonorecord"

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/01/02/munich_buys_windows_2000/