Re: GPL question

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:13:42 -0600

me quotes:

and writes:
> can you please translate that into english?  are you saying "sure, it's
> okay to include the binary"?

US law says that if you own a lawfully made copy of a work you can sell it
or otherwise dispose of it without permission of the copyright owner.  Note
that a copy is a _tangible object_ such as a book, a CD, a floppy, or a
hard drive.  However, this bit of law has no bearing on your case.  It does
not give you permission to _make_ copies as you would, for example, by
uploading the work.

Let me try to be clearer.  You may do what you want to do without getting
into trouble with the owner of the copyright on foo.  However, you must
comply with foo's license just as you would were it not accompanied by your
work.  Read the GPL.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org