Re: GPL question

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:41:36 +0000

On Sáb, 2007-03-10 at 14:39 -0800, me@davecotter.com wrote:
> > Yes.  Note, however, that you will be distributing foo and will have to
> > comply with the terms of its license.
>

> allright how bout if i have the user go and install said tool and i do
> NOT include it with my distribution?  in my app, say the user invokes
> that funtion, i can detect if "foo" is installed and if not, put up a
> dialog saying "you gotta download and install foo, click ok to do it",
> then the user hits okay and in the background i download and install
> "foo" and THEN invoke the function?  would that be okay?

What John said is that if you distribute foo then you have to distribute
foo's source code.

Your doubt is well covered in the GPL FAQ:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NFUseGPLPlugins

If I were you, though, I'd just release the whole thing as Free Software
under the GNU GPL version 2 or later. It would save a lot of hassles and
doubts.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?