Re: GPL question

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 01:43:24 +0100 (CET)

   What I glean is, yes i can, from the user's perspective, "include"
   a GPL'd software within my own proprietary software, and NOT be
   forced to release my source code?  (see previous for what i mean by
   "include")

As John said, you cannot be forced; either you accept the GPL or you
don't, it is entierly up to you.  From the sound of it, you are not
really `including' GPL software with proprietary software, but
distributing it beside it.  This is called aggregation, and is
allowed.

Section 2:

| In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
| Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a
| volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other
| work under the scope of this License.

And section 5: