Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "Inherently Unmodifiable Copies"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "Inherently Unmodifiable Copies"
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:25:23 +0200

Inherently Unmodifiable Copies

We do not object to the practice of conveying object code in a mode not
practically susceptible to modification by any party, such as code
burned in ROM or embedded in silicon. What we find ethically
objectionable is the refusal to pass on to the downstream licensee the
real right to modify, coupled with the retention of that right in the
device manufacturer or some other party. Our text has never prohibited
distribution in ROM, but we have decided to make the point explicitly,
for clarity’s sake. Accordingly, our text states that the requirement
to provide Installation Information “does not apply if neither you nor
any third party retains the ability to install modified object code on
the User Product.”
------

"FORM 990, PART II, LINE 25 - OFFICER COMPENSATION SCHEDULE
                                         PROGRAM  MANAGMENT
 OFFICER NAME AND TYPE OF COMPENSATION  SERVICES  AND GENERAL

 EBEN MOGLEN
    COMPENSATION:                        116,875.     38,959."

                          -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.