Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "Network Access and Other Limitations"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "Network Access and Other Limitations"
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:28:54 +0200

Network Access and Other Limitations

The definition of Installation Information states that the information
provided “must suffice to ensure that the continued functioning of the
modified object code is in no case prevented or interfered with solely
because modification has been made.” We did not consider it necessary
to define “continued functioning” further. However, we believed it
would be appropriate to provide some additional guidance concerning
the scope of GPLv3-compliant action or inaction that distributors of
technically-restricted User Products can take with respect to a
downstream recipient who replaces the conveyed object code with a
modified version. We make clear that GPLv3 implies no obligation “to
continue to provide support service, warranty, or updates” for such a
work.

Most technically-restricted User Products are designed to communicate
across networks. It is important for both users and network providers
to know when denial of network access to devices running modified
versions becomes a GPL violation. We settled on a rule that permits
denial of access in two cases: “when the modification itself materially
and adversely affects the operation of the network,” and when the
modification itself “violates the rules and protocols for communication
across the network.” The second case is deliberately drawn in general
terms. We intend it to serve as a foundation for development of
reasonable enforcement policies that respect recipients’ right to
modify while recognizing the legitimate interests of network providers.
------

"FORM 990, PART II, LINE 25 - OFFICER COMPENSATION SCHEDULE
                                         PROGRAM  MANAGMENT
 OFFICER NAME AND TYPE OF COMPENSATION  SERVICES  AND GENERAL

 EBEN MOGLEN
    COMPENSATION:                        116,875.     38,959."

                          -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.