Re: just another freeware blog (was: Re: Great Free Software Blog)

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: just another freeware blog (was: Re: Great Free Software Blog)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:51:16 +0200

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> "Koh Choon Lin" <open07@gmail.com> writes:
> > I think the title is misleading: "Paying for good software" will lead
> > others to think that free means free of charge.
>
> That blog does mean free of charge.  It's a freeware blog, not a free
> software blog.

C'mon, Guh-NÜ activist ciaran,

http://www.voluntarytrade.org/newsite/modules/news/article.php?storyid=125

<quote>

Easterbrook, Circuit Judge. Does the provision of copyrighted software
under the GNU General Public License (“GPL”) violate the federal
antitrust laws? Authors who distribute their works under this license,
devised by the Free Software Foundation, Inc., authorize not only copying
but also the creation of derivative works—and the license prohibits
charging for the derivative work. People may make and distribute
derivative works if and only if they come under the same license terms
as the original work. Thus the GPL propagates from user to user and
revision to revision: neither the original author, nor any creator of a
revised or improved version, may charge for the software or allow any
successor to charge. Copyright law, usually the basis of limiting
reproduction in order to collect a fee, ensures that open-source
software remains free: any attempt to sell a derivative work will
violate the copyright laws, even if the improver has not accepted the
GPL. The Free Software Foundation calls the result “copyleft.”

</quote>

"You see Free Software has been so successful because we have shown
we can develop software without any money. Volunteers do it. We don't
need to have money to develop powerful large programs. But we
certainly need to have money if we're going to buy patent licences."

                                        -- Lunatic Richard Stallman