Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Asay: "Figments of the FSF's imagination t

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Asay: "Figments of the FSF's imagination to be ironed out of the GPL"
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:26:43 +0200

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/05/figments_of_the.html

-----
May 10, 2007

Figments of the FSF's imagination to be ironed out of the GPL
Filed under: Open Source

OK, that was a little too snide (especially given the respect I have for
the Free Software Foundation). But I just read Paul Krill's Infoworld
piece on the FSF's attempts to iron out incompatibilities between the
GPL and other open source licenses like Apache.

About time.

Of course, many of us don't think there are any incompatibilities beyond
the political machinations of the FSF. The Apache Software Foundation
has certainly struggled to decipher the alleged incompatibility. I think
the reality is that it exists - at least, mostly - in RMS' brain.

But at least we have efforts underway to rectify the problem. (Of
course, noise has been made before in this direction, so we'll see what
happens):

This goal is to make it easier to use code under Apache and GPL together
in the same application, said Brett Smith, license compliance manager at
the Free Software Foundation, on Thursday morning.

"We've been working on a new version of our license, the GNU GPL, and
one of our goals for that license from the very beginning was to provide
compatibility with other free software licenses," Smith said. Version 3
of the GPL is expected to be finalized in June or July, he said.

I would love to see this happen. Again, not out of necessity (I don't
think incompatibility is real), but because it will take some of the
guesswork out of mixing the two brands of open source software.

That's a good thing. More power to them.

Posted by Matt Asay on May 10, 2007 12:57 PM

E-mail This | Print This | Digg This | Slashdot It! | Add to del.icio.us
-----

http://www.linuxtaliban.com/bilder.htm