Re: GPL question

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 14:35:40 +0200

Richard Tobin wrote:

> In article <85zm453gjn.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup  <dak@gnu.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Defined interfaces are not usually considered to create copyrightable
> >entities as long as they don't contain sufficient creative content by
> >themselves.
>
> This is interesting, because as I understand it the FSF claims that if
> I distribute code that only works with their libraries (because I use
> their interfaces), then I must distribute my code under the GPL even
> if I don't distribute their libraries.

They also claim that Microsoft's distribution of *vouchers* (think
of a currency to buy service units for Suse Linux) containing zero
lines of GPL'd code somehow requires permission from copyright
owners in GPL'd code and makes Microsoft become a party to the GPL
license (making Microsoft subject to GPL conditions/obligations
regarding Linux code).

Moglen and his underlings at FSF ("GPL compliance engineering" LOL)
and his personal "charity" firm SFLC is a bunch of morons fond of
spouting legal nonsense as pro bono service to utter lunatic RMS
and his "philosophy" followers.