Re: GPL question

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: 20 May 2007 18:40:26 -0700

On May 14, 4:18 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Bilgehan.Bal...@gmail.com writes:
> > Hi,
>
> > Suppose I used some GPL code (e.g. linux kernel linked lists) in my
> > own project, which is also under GPL. However I have the copyright for
> > the bits that I wrote, possibly more than a non-trivial %90 of it. Can
> > I still dual license the project?
>
> You can't relicense the work of others under any license you like,
> period.  Regardless how much or little you add to it.
>
> If you want to have the definite say about how to license some work,
> make sure that you have the copyright to 100% of it.  If the 10% are
> so trivial and your licensing options are so important to you, that
> should be a small price to pay.

Although I'm not the asker of the question, this still brings to mind
the dillemma I haven't quite settled for myself yet. What if, say,
instead of dual-licensing the _entire work_, he (the asker of the
original question) tweaked it so the _GPL parts_ could be distributed
in the package *and also over a website or other free-availability
source* _UNDER GPL_, while the 90% that is _ORIGINAL_ is
licensed under proprietary or other non-GPL terms? Like this:

--- Complete Program:
Original program
GPL part
---

--- What is distributed in the retail package:
Original program -- under proprietary, non-free license or non-GPL
license

GPL part -- bundled in under GPL *and* also available on website or
other freely available source so it remains "free"
---

Would that be acceptable?