Re: GNU License, Again

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GNU License, Again
Date: 21 May 2007 13:09:30 -0700

On May 21, 6:41 am, John Hasler <j...@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> mike3 writes:
> > I have two programs, a GPL program and my own program, to which I myself
> > own the copyrights. Now, I take a couple of pieces of the GPL program and
> > install them in my own program, and then release the resulting package
> > under a proprietary or other non-GPL license,
> > So, would this be permissible?
>
> No.  You have infringed the copyright on the GPL program.  Expect to hear
> from the owner's lawyers.

How about not as a pack? How about distributing them separately, but
the
non-GPL program depends vitally on the GPL one? One could get the GPL
program without getting the non-GPL one -- free -- but to get the non-
GPL
one (ie. the one I own and can do whatever I please with) one would
need
to get the GPL one since it depends vitally on it. They would not be
distributed
as a *pack* however. Like, say, if I wrote a software development
environment
built to work strictly with the GNU compiler, so it cannot work
without it, but
the GNU compiler was not distributed in the proprietary package --
instead
instructions were included on how to obtain it from free sources.