Re: Lost in licensing - is the following strategy water-proof?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lost in licensing - is the following strategy water-proof?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 22:54:19 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    >    Dear open-source-fellows,
>    >
>    > Please do not confuse us with this movement, we are part of the Free
>    > software movement, and promote freedom.
>
>    Please do not confuse yourself with every reader of this list.
>    Speak for yourself, not for others.  If you absolutely feel
>    compelled to speak for others, don't use the all-inclusive "we" but
>    specify the group that you feel qualified speaking for explicitly.
>
> This is a GNU list, we are not part of the open source movement.
> Using we in this context is perfectly suitable.

Alfred, you have stated that you don't agree with positions explained
in the GPL FAQ and by Ebden Moglen, the FSF's legal counsel.  And you
certainly put forward positions that I, as a GNU contributor and
maintainer of several projects, can't find to agree with either my
opinion nor that of the FSF.

So please don't pretend to speak with authority you don't have.

Apart from that, the group's charter does not prescribe the opinions
to state on this list: it is here for serious discussion _about_ the
GNU project.  This is not an internal discussion list, but open to
everybody, regardless of party affiliation.