Re: GNU License, Again

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GNU License, Again
Date: 26 May 2007 02:21:18 -0700

On May 26, 1:45 am, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> mike3 <mike4...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > This is why this discussion keeps going -- because you don't seem to
> > be making sense, you just keep contradicting yourself!  I don't know
> > what to believe now.
>
> Alfred is exercising his notion of loyalty.  Making sense is a
> secondary consideration for him: after all, he is repeating the words
> and ideas (or so he thinks) of people which are generally considered
> to be in full possession of their senses.

So since it does not make sense, then he has failed in repeating it
successfully, as if the people are in full posession of their senses,
what they say should make sense. If it does, and his reiteration
does not, he has, obviously, failed.

> If you want to get a somewhat coherent presentation of the motivations
> behind the GPL, I recommend that you rather concentrate on the links
> he provides and skip his own exegesis.

I looked through them but there is a lot there and I haven't yet found
anything that would really specifically answer my question. None of
the stuff I've found explains why the entire source code of a combined
work must be released -- most of the rationale could seem to be
appeased with simply releasing only the free GPL program that was
used in the non-free or non-GPL one.

Maybe it's just that I am not familiar with the extreme subtleties of
Gnutianism, however none of the provided material seems to do the
trick...