Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 09:26:50 -0500

 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra writes:
> No, there are contracts where authors assign or even sell (in some
> jurisdictions) their copyrights.

That's what I said.

I wrote:
> For the Microsoft EULA to be a copyright license as well as a contract it
> would have to grant you some of the exclusive rights of the copyright owner
> in addition to taking away many of the rights the copy owner would
> otherwise have.  I was not aware that it did the so, but I haven't seen a
> recent version.                              ^^^
                                               typo

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra writes:
> For some years Microsoft's EULA removes your right to privacy. It also
> explicitly allows Microsoft to inspect your premises for compliance, as
> well as administrate your machines.

The antecedent to "it" in my last sentence above is "grant you some of the
exclusive rights of the copyright owner".  My point is that so far as I
know the Microsoft EULA does not grant any such rights and therefor is not
a copyright license.  I am aware that it requires that you give up various
things (in addition to money) in return for a copy of the work.  That makes
it a contract. To also be a copyright license it would havw to grant you
some of the copyright owner's exclusive rights.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org