Re: GNU License, Again

From: none
Subject: Re: GNU License, Again
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:46:52 -0500

In article <4656BD51.742B702B@web.de>,
Alexander Terekhov  <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

>none Byron Jeff wrote:
>[...]
>> Good. Do you see that the extended code is a derivative of the original
>> GPL code now?
>
>SCO/GNU postulatus 101.
>
>http://www.byte.com/documents/s=8276/byt1055784622054/0616_marshall.html
>(SCO Owns Your Computer ... All Your Base Are Belong To Us)

That's apples and gorillas sir. The article you quote states that SCO
thinks that any original code that has even been developed for Unix
systems is a derivative and belongs to them. That far extends beyond the
concept that if you take GPL code and extend that code, that the
extension is a derivative.

><quote>
>
>GPL
>
>"GPL has the same derivative rights concept [as UNIX]," according to
>Sontag...
>
></quote>

Not true. If you write an original piece of code that runs on a Linux
system, There are no GPL rights imposed upon it.

OTOH if you take a piece of GPL codebase and extend it, that's a whole
different matter.

BTW I'm been meaning to ask why it is that you've been reduced to simple
namecalling and heckeling in this newsgroup. When you first came on the
scene you at least attempted to explain why it is that the GNU concept
is flawed. But I haven't seen anything new from you in a couple of
years. Just wondering.

BAJ