Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 21:38:16 +0100

Seg, 2007-05-28 às 12:00 -0700, mike3 escreveu:
> On May 27, 1:56 pm, John Hasler <j...@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> > mike3 writes:
> > > But then when does [the Microsoft EULA] become a contract?
>
> But I thought the license was too restrictive. Is that just because it
> does not
> _grant_ as many rights as, say, the GPL, does?

Well, the typical Microsoft license:
  0) doesn't allow you to run the program for any purpose
  1) doesn't allow you to study and modify the program
  2) doesn't allow you to distribute copies of the program
  3) doesn't allow you to publish modified versions

You'll notice that it's a direct antithesis of Free Software which are
those licenses which grant the user the following four freedoms:

  0) allow you to run the program for any purpose
  1) allow you to study and modify the program
  2) allow you to distribute copies of the program
  3) allow you to publish modified versions

The GNU GPL allows all these, but says that if you do exercise freedoms
2) or 3) then you need to pass along all these freedoms and this
restriction (extreme license summary, please consult the GNU GPL for the
details).

The purpose of the GNU GPL is to be a tool to help drive Free Software's
objective: To Free All Users.

The GNU GPL BOTH *keeps* software Free Software AND *incites* the
creation of NEW Free Software.

Can anyone tell a single right MS-EULA grants under copyright law which
YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE? I can't see any...

Rui

+ So let's do it...?