Re: No Emails for Sports Prediction Program, only Downloads

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: No Emails for Sports Prediction Program, only Downloads
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:00:29 +0200

Inventor <Inventor-66@comcast.net> writes:

> On May 30, 1:31 am, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Expect about 2 mail feedbacks per 1000 downloads, and 4 of 5 feedbacks
>> are coupled with feature requests or bug reports.  Expect about 1 in
>> 20000 downloads to offer some monetary appreciation or other
>> contribution.
>>
>> If you want to have feedback, try asking for a postcard _explicitly_
>> in your release announcement/README.
>
> Wow David, sounds like the voice of experience - greatly
> appreciated.  I did what you suggested and also i put a notice on
> the web page stating that the new documentation I'm making just now
> is available by email.  That way anyone can get the software and run
> it from the README.txt file, but if they want the new docs, they
> have to email me.  We'll see how that works.  Thanks, and best
> wishes.

I would not recommend tying the docs to Email: it will just make
people consider your software non-free or not worth of evaluating.  If
it is a temporary measure, like
"Note: I am working on documentation but it is in a preliminary state
and thus I don't include it in the package.  However, people willing
to test it out are welcome to ask for it in its current state, and
I'll appreciate suggestions how to further improve it."
you might still strike sort of a balance.  As long as people have a
feeling that a given state of inconvenience is temporary...

Personally, I'd use the postcard angle instead of trying to hold back
stuff.  It is sort of a non-committical feedback people can give, one
that they do not need to fear to have to argue and defend or expose
themselves or something.  Non-commitment is all the rage.