Re: The death of copyright in software

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: The death of copyright in software
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 08:01:10 -0500

Stefaan A Eeckels writes:
> If you strip out all the distinguishing characteristics, it's pretty
> obvious that on the remainder you cannot get copyright protection.

I think that you two may be talking somewhat at cross-purposes.  AFC
removes the _unprotected_ elements.  Yes, your compiler will look like swiss
cheese after AFC: it will be full of holes where the unprotected elements
have been removed, but the the bulk of the code will remain.

As you note, every work contains unprotected elements, but most works still
consist mostly of protected stuff.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org