Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:32:57 -0500

David Kastrup writes:
> You will find that museums, even though they put paintings on public
> display, have the right to stop people from taking photographs of the
> paintings.

In order to photograph those paintings one must enter the museum's
property.  The museum has the right to limit what people can do on their
property.  If the museum were to make the mistake of placing a public
domain painting so that it could be seen from the public street they could
do nothing to stop me from standing out there and photographing it (in the
US).
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org