Re: What counts as "distribution"

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: What counts as "distribution"
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:57:11 -0500

Robert writes:
> I am sure that "distributing" software (in the sense of the GPL) is not
> synonymous with "putting on computers".  It may not even cover all forms
> of "giving it to someone".  But i can't find anything (literally)
> definitive.

You[1] cannot fail to comply with the terms of the GPL when making copies
of a GPLd work for your own use.  You already have the source or offer, you
have a copy of the GPL, and you cannot impose addtional restrictions on
yourself.  What is the copyright owner going to sue you for?

[1] "You" may be an employer, of course.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org