Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software nor o

From: J de Boyne Pollard
Subject: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software nor open source software
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 03:07:43 -0700

CT> Can I download Hoard, make some changes, post the source
CT> code free of charge, ...

AW> Yes, because it's licensed under the GPL.

CT> ... and charge a fee for a commercial product that uses a
CT> function offered by the compiled binary of the modified
CT> source code?

AW> Not under the GPL license.

Incorrect.  Come now!  This is a GPL Frequently Given Answer.  The
correct answer, which you will find at <URL:http://fsf.org./licensing/
licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney>, as well as on Hoard's own
web site at <URL:http://prisms.cs.umass.edu./emery/index.php?
page=frequently-asked-questions-2>, is that one can sell a product
that incorporates free software, such as Hoard, as long as that
product is itself free software.  In other words, the product
incorporating the code must, overall, provide users with the same four
freedoms from the Free Software Definition that the incorporated code
does.