Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software n

From: Chris Thomasson
Subject: Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software nor open source software
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:04:15 -0700

"J de Boyne Pollard" <j.deboynepollard@tesco.net> wrote in message 1191950844.412979.221800@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com">news:1191950844.412979.221800@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
CT> I am thinking of releasing the version of the allocator I
CT> submitted to Sun Microsystems under the GPL license
CT> for use in free software only.
CT>
CT> Humm... I think I will use the following license instead of GPL:
CT>
CT> http://appcore.home.comcast.net/vzoom/vzoom_personal_licence.pdf

That is not a free software licence.  It denies freedoms 0, 2, and 3
of the Free Software Definition to an entire class of people.  That is
not an open source licence.  It fails to satisfy items 1, 3, 5, and 6
of the Open Source Definition.  I suggest that if you are going to
make a big deal about your competing with Hoard, you don't fall at the
first hurdle by producing software that is neither free nor open,
unlike Hoard.  Hoard is dual-licensed, and one of the licences is the
GNU General Public Licence.  Encumbering your software with patent
claims doesn't help your case, either.  Your attempts to deny everyone
else their freedoms with your non-free software licences and your
patent claims will almost certainly be rejected.

Can I download Hoard, make some changes, post the source code free of charge, and charge a fee for a commercial product that uses a function offered by the compiled binary of the modified source code?