Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software n

From: Anthony Williams
Subject: Re: Virtually Zero-Overhead Object Management is neither free software nor open source software
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:50:46 +0100

David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com> writes:

> On Oct 12, 1:59 am, Anthony Williams <anthony_w....@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> If the GPL part is provided in a separate binary for which an
>> alternative non-GPL implementation can be substituted without recompiling the
>> main app, you might not have to make the source code for the full application
>> available. I expect such an alternative implementation would have to be
>> actually available, and not just theoretically available. I am not a lawyer,
>> so if you intend to try this you probably ought to get proper legal advice.
>
> If there's some reason you think that makes a difference, I'd love to
> hear it. I can't imagine why that would be so.
>
> In any event, my answer would be that so long as neither work is a
> derivative of the other, you are just fine. Since hoard contains none
> of your code and your code contains no hoard code (assuming you don't
> design it specifically around hoard) you are perfectly fine. They are
> two legally-independent works. There is no reason to license for one
> should affect the other.

Like I said, I am not a lawyer, but the "assuming you don't design it
specifically around hoard" is the bit I was referring to --- if your code only
works with hoard, you're in a gray area, and ought to get proper advice.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk