Re: GPL question

From: rjack
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:44:56 -0400

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

I am mighty confused now. Are you saying that what I'm planning to do
is not possible?

Correct, you cannot link non-free software with a GPL library.

If not, why?

The end result contains code from a GPL program, and the GPL states that the whole work has to be licensed under the same terms.

Link with GPL'd code and Richard Stallman and Eben Moglen will own your
program, your wife and kids, the family dog and your primary residence
-- tax free. Since you have encountered their universal and omnipotent
GPL license, if you even converse with your friends, their programs also
become GPL licensed works. Such is the power of the GPL, only a shaman
from the Ug!atia tribe of southern Ethiopia can undo its control over
your life.

rjack