Re: GPL question

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:46:39 -0500

mike3 writes:
> As for the "viral", that's just what I call it.

Viral implies that it is infectious and can spread in a disease-like
fashion.  According to Microsoft this means that if you ever let any GPL
code onto your property every piece of software you ever have or ever will
write might become infected and have to be released under the GPL.

> ...If you choose to use GPL code in your program, even if only a few
> lines, then you are legally obligated to release the entire program, not
> just the GPL code,

You are not required to release it at all.  It is just that if you choose
to release it you must do so under the terms of the GPL.

> What other word is there for it?

How about GPL?

BTW "a few lines" generally don't qualify for copyright at all.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org