Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:46:00 +0100

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 01:56:10AM -0700, KomsBomb@hotmail.com wrote:
> This item is not very important.

If it's not important that it is Free Software, then go fetch legal
advice. This is a group about Free Software.

> If the license forces the user to distribute the source code
> with the program,

The it isn't Free Software. No Free Software licenses forces the user
to distribute anything.

Even the GNU GPL, what it says roughly is:

        IF AND ONLY IF you distribute, then...

> I really don't mind if it's commercial or not.

Are you confusing commercial with proprietary?

Commercial => used in a commercial context (charging for copies,
              support, etc...)

Proprietary => does not grant the receiving user the 4 Software
               Freedoms described by the Free Software Foundation

> However, I don't want any other sells the source code or compiled
> binary directly without any derived work.

Why would you do that? What advantage do you get?
You get no advantage at all as far as I can see.

> Then any advice?

Release it under the GNU GPL, control all patches to the software.
That way you can release it as Free Software, but if anyone wants
to have a proprietary derivative, charge as much as you can for
a special proprietary license for that person.

It's the model of MySQL, for instance.

Rui

--
All Hail Discordia!
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 70th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?